Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Maternity Pork Roast

I am borderline anemic, as always. Nobody cared enough to do anything about it...until I got pregnant. Now it is a big deal. I told them that I have tried taking iron supplements before and it doesn't work. Nonetheless, I am trying to add more iron to my diet in the form of molasses, leafy greens and red meat. At least it gives me an excuse to try new recipes.

Bone-in Center Cut Pork Roast
thyme
molasses
apple cider - about 1 cup
Butternut squash
freshly ground nutmeg

Season roast with salt and thyme
Brown roast
pour molasses all over the roast
set slices of butternut squash in slow cooker
add apple cider
cook on high about 2 hours
baste periodically
puree butternut squash
reduce liquid to a glaze on the stove for abut 20 minutes
slice chops and serve with glaze

this was really good - not sure if it was the cooking method or the fact that we got it from Mish's Meat Market

It was difficult to cut the chops
Martha says you should have the butcher cut the chin bones for you...hmmm

No comments: