


Someone my husband works with is very sick and she can only eat soups, preferably with meat because she needs the protein. So I called my mom for instructions on the family vegetable soup recipe. She said it had tomato sauce in it. I don't remember this being a red vegetable soup, so I called my aunt - she confirmed and added some other things (as noted). My mom, my aunt and I all have a giant All-Clad soup pot - I don't know how one would do this in a smaller pot.
Since I am preggers, and I am keeping some of this for myself, I went and bought all natural stuff and they happened to have fresh peas and lima beans at the fancy store I went to. Mom and Aunt Melissa said you don't have to brown the meat.
Step 1 -Stock
beef soup bones
chuck roast
onion
celery
parsley (Aunt Melissa)
oxtail (Aunt Melissa only and I didn't get one)
garlic (Aunt Melissa only)
salt
peppercorns (me)
any other seasoning? i think i will add some Mural of Flavor from Penzy's
cook for many hours
at this point you could refridgerate the stock and skim the fat off-I did refridgerate because i made the stock late in the evening
there was a thick nasty layer of fat on the top in the morning- i had to take it off
it was gross- i forgot to take a picture - maybe for the best
Step 2 was easier with cold food instead of boiling
Step 2
Drain the stock
get rid of bones
separate out fat and beef - discard fat and add meat back to stock
mush veggies and add back to stock - my mom does this with a coffee cup and a strainer. i am not sure my aunt does this - she may just discard. i discarded the parsley and i put the onions and celery in the food processor and mushed them - then added back to the stock
Step 3
add veggies to the soup
Cabbage cut very small - my mom says not to use the inner core part - i shredded in the food processor
basically peas, corn green beans and lima beans(my mom and Aunt Melissa are vehemently opposed to any use of okra)
Aunt Melissa uses fresh carrots and frozen peas, beans etc.
my mom uses frozen mixed veg (No can of creamed corn)
i used all fresh except green beans b/c they were there
Aunt Melissa adds more onions and celery here
i added a little more sliced celery
Super important!
2 cans white shoepig corn
2 cans creamed corn
1 large can tomato sauce
cook for many hours
in the last hour - add potatoes cut into small pieces
Aunt Melissa says you can add frozen potatoes o'brien
No comments:
Post a Comment