Sunday, April 1, 2007

Easter Cookies






I have a bunch of Easter cookie cutter, as well as an Easter cookie stamp and an eager little helper. So I made up a batch of basic sugar cookie dough and a batch of butterscotch sugar cookie cookie dough (by substituting brown sugar in a regular sugar cookie recipe). I also had a set of neon food coloring which I used to color granulated sugar for sprinkling. This worked better than I thought it would. I just added a drop or two to about 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. I mixed it really well - the liquid food coloring tends to form little chunks, but with enough mixing you end up with evenly colored sugar. I also used the food coloring to color some icing which I made by mixing powdered sugar and water to desired consistency. For the little running rabbits, the rabbit faces, and the large eggs I used the regular sugar cookie dough. For the cookie stamp I used the brown sugar dough. The large egg cookie cutter came with a stencil that I used to make decorations with the colored sugar. This was really easy - even for the young helper that I had. For the rabbits I iced them and then topped them with coconut shavings to mimic fur. My little helper really enjoyed these. Finally, I painted the stamped cookies with a variety of icing colors. These were a little more difficult and I am not sure I am happy with the results because the details of the cookie are a little blurry. I think another dough more suited to a cookie stamp might have been better.

No comments: